Kaj-anne Pepper and Chanticleer Tru INVITE YOU TO COMPETE IN
CRITICAL MASCARA: “A Post-Realness Drag Ball”
PICA’s Time-Based Art Festival
September 14, 2013
THE WORKS at Con-Way, 2170 NW Raleigh
10pm sign in (pre-registration info below)
$8 PICA Members/$10 General/$5 for Pre-registered Competitors*
*All participants registered and confirmed by September 7th will receive a special gift from Pepper and Chanticleer!
CRITICAL MASCARA is part drag ball and competition, part dance party, and plenty of performance SPECTACLE!
Want to flaunt your highest glamour? Turn tragic into magic? Celebrate the evolution of queer consciousness? Are you hungry to prance, vogue, dance and shimmer? Wanna chance at a cash prize? Win spectacular gifts made by local artists? Want to step into the spotlight at an international arts festival and SHINE?
STAR PERFORMERS! CELEBRITY JUDGES! HI-CONCEPT LOOKS! A $666 DOLLAR CASH PRIZE! TROPHIES! FAME!
Be you boy, girl, queen, princess, nancy, goblin, unicorn, femme, butch, dandy, fae, or the hottest slice of tail since the fall of the Roman Empire YOU ARE INVITED!
In the time honored tradition of Paris Is Burning, New Orleans Drag Balls and Portland Queer Punk Monster Drag we are having a BALL! We are celebrating our lineage, history, beauty, struggles, and future with a fantastic night of DANCING, PERFORMANCE, and COMPETITION.
YOU ARE INVITED to COMPETE! You are invited to ATTEND! YOU ARE INVITED!
Here’s how it works:
Read the categories!
Know the categories!
Love the categories!
Grab your friends, make a house, set some dates, and turn a look! You will look better, feel better, and will truly have a ball if you get 2-5 of your friends to dress up and support each other with ideas, skill-share, and preparation.
Members of any house can compete as individuals in ONE CATEGORY.
We are competing as individuals but CELEBRATING AS A GROUP!
In each category you are expected to serve a look, a moment, and be prepared to be interviewed and surprised! The the winners of each category will compete in a high stakes performance/lip-sync/dance/challenge for a chance to win a $666 cash prize and being known as the fiercest in the land. Oh! Also, you need to follow the DIVA REQUIREMENTS for extra credit.
NO LIQUIDS. NO BROKEN GLASS. NO FIRE.
- We’re keeping it safe to dance, sweat and prance.
DIVA PRACTICE: (Art Queen First Time at the Ball)
- Serving Art Damaged, Hi-Contrast, Post-Nerd. Deconstructing Gender? HOW DOES SHE DO IT? Subverting the gender-binary after a heady threesome with Judith Butler and Marina Abramovic while on the set of LIQUID SKY (watch it, love it, know it).
Diva Requirements: Work some genderfuk but keep us guessing. Colors are TWEED, PLAID, PATTERNS. TEXT. CONTRAST.
GLAMOUR GORE: (For the bloody, dark and fertile hearts)
- Dark Romance, Horror, Witches, METAL! Calling down Baphomet and calling up the spirits of the earth. How are you gonna express a reaction to 10,000 years of cultural oppression of women, queers, and people of color? Turn tragic into magic.
Diva Requirments: Colors are Crimson. Lashes, Silver, Studs, Leather.
VOGUE (Dance Dahling DANCE!)
- For the dancer, the prancer, the gymnast and the twirler. She’s a dancing queen, he’s dedicated to BODY! Simply put we wanna see you LIVE the beat!
Diva Requirments: Colors are BODY. BODY. BODY. We wanna see you MOVE.
HAAAAIIIRRRR (The closer to god)
- I’m talking HEAD TO TOE. Not just a cute up-do. I’m talking HAAAIIIRR, long, beautiful hair! Freaky Fashion HAIIIIR. Whip yo hair. LIVE FOR HAIR. We wanna choke on your weave for daaaaaaays.
Diva Requirments: Sparkles, Shimmer, HAIR.
PERFORMANCE: (A Hardcore Lipsynch/Dance/HIGHEST CONCEPT Marathon)
- We will be crafting an endurance test for you to show us what you got. BRING IT! You won’t know all the songs but SOME songs will be posted at Kpepper.net/criticalmascara a week before the show.
Diva Requirements: Be the best you can be. And be prepared to improvise.
FOR MORE INFO: KPEPPER.NET
Email [email protected] with your Name, House (if any), and Category (just one!) you are competing in by September 7!
Want to get Critical? Stay glued to Kpepper.net for more info about our Post-Realness Reading Group and Vogue/Queer Performance Dance Classes starting in August!