PICA is pleased to announce the seven artists who will be in residence from March 19 – April 6 through the Creative Exchange Lab. Twice a year, the Creative Exchange Lab convenes 7–10 local, national, and international artists who spend three weeks immersed in research, new project development and idea exchange.
Selected by PICA’s curatorial team, the spring cohort of artists includes:
- Kaneza Schaal (New York-based performance artist)
- Will Rawls (New York-based choreographer/writer/performance artist)
- Jennie Liu (Los Angeles-based performance artist)
- Andrew Gilbert (Los Angeles-based musician)
- Manuel Solano (Mexico City-based visual artist)
- Sarah AbuAbdallah (Saudi Arabia-based visual artist)
- Demian DinéYazhi’ (Portland-based transdisciplinary artist)
- Amenta Abioto (Portland-based songwriter/music producer/actor)
On Tuesday March 28 at 6:00 PM, the Creative Exchange Lab will give a free public presentation at PICA (415 SW 10th Avenue) to give Portland the opportunity to meet the artists and engage with their work.
Launched in the spring of 2015, through funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, PICA’s Creative Exchange Lab is a residency program that promotes artistic exchange across disciplines, geographies, and fosters the development of new works. Reflecting a field-wide need for in-depth cross-disciplinary research opportunities for artists, the Lab offers essential generative time for research and experimentation, cross-disciplinary collaboration and dialogue between the participating local, national, and international artists. For more information, please visit the Creative Exchange Lab program page.