PICA’s Creative Exchange Lab has been designed to promote artistic exchange, instigate peer to peer dialogue, and foster the development of new works with a focus on serving artists working at the intersection of different forms. The residency program is comprised of two labs annually taking place each Spring and Fall.
Creative Exchange Lab artists are collaboratively selected by PICA’s curatorial team and are asked to participate by invitation. PICA seeks to invite a diverse intergenerational cohort of artists, emerging and established, from a spectrum of disciplines and cultural perspectives.
Reflecting a field wide need for in-depth cross-disciplinary research opportunities for artists, the labs offer essential generative time for research and experimentation, cross-disciplinary collaboration, and self-directed interaction between the participating local, national, and international artists.
The Creative Exchange Lab has been established with lead support from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and additional support through Oregon Community Foundation’s Creative Heights initiative.
Fall 2016 Lab
- Holland Andrews (Portland)
- Boyzie Cekwana (Durban, South Africa)
- Math Bass (Los Angeles)
- Lauren Davis Fisher (Los Angeles)
- keyon gaskin (Portland)
- Brennan Gerard (New York)
- Ryan Kelly (New York)
- Moya Michael (Brussels, Belgium)
- Dorothée Munyaneza (Marseille, France)
- Kameelah Janan Rasheed (East Palo Alto, CA)
Spring 2016 Lab
- Marco Kane Braunschweiler (Los Angeles)
- Ali Chahrour (Beirut)
- Shannon Funchess (Portland)
- Mark Mitchell (Seattle)
- sidony o’neal (Portland)
- Junaid Sarieddeen (Beirut)
- Morgan Thorson (Minneapolis)
Fall 2015 Lab
- Chase Biado (Portland)
- Gabel Eiben (Brussels)
- Dylan Mira (Los Angeles)
- Samita Sinha (New York)
- Keijaun Thomas (New York/Chicago)
- Tetsuya Umeda (Osaka)
- Jacob Wren (Montreal)
- Takahiro Yamamoto (Portland)